This is the first stage of the marker coloring process, I added the gray tones for the whole page first. I’ll be posting the next two steps later today and the final two processes tomorrow. Happy New Years Eve everybody.
I just finished writing my second issue of “The Plagued”. I wrote 20 pages yesterday and 4 this morning. Now I’m going to work on the logo and synopsis a little bit. At around 5 I should be posting the ink for the final frame of the first issue. (not the final page just the last frame to get done.)
So I went to check out Brian Kies’s art show in Ontario tonight. I wasn’t able to stay very long because I work in the morning, but I made it there. I would like to thank him for putting the show on, a few people dropped out last minute and things weren’t how he wanted them to be, but he was a great host and the set up was great. I look forward to the possible next one and possibly being in one some day. Way to go Brian, You are awesome and so was your show.
Today started out great. I woke up at 5 am and immediately set off to work on a project. My plan was to get the screen for screenprinting finally ready to print things. So I spent an hour getting everything set up, then another hour applying the emulsion to the screen and waiting for it to dry. Then it was time to imprint the image and after waiting half an hour with it on a heat lamp I noticed that the screen was about a centimeter away from the image and was letting light around it making it to where nothing was being imprinted on the screen. So then I had to scrap it and wash it all off and start all over. This time it went faster and I ran some errands while waiting for it to dry only to find that when I came back the emulsion completely stuck to the surface it had been resting on instead of the screen itself and was once again ruined. Then it was pointed out to me that even after that nothing would have worked anyway because apparently there is another chemical that you have to mix with the emulsion to make it light sensitive and give it the ability to imprint the image. In the end my 1 o’clock in the afternoon I had officially got absolutely nothing accomplished with my one day off and was really upset about it.
I turned the day around slightly by doing some remaining detail work on the comic pages nearly completing everything that needed to be done there, but it doesn’t make me feel any better about the rest of my day. I have been buying supplies and waiting to do this project for over 6 months, and the disappointment over that today was quite overwhelming. Luckily I had someone really great helping me through it all or I would have went all emo on the world. Now I just have to wait another month till I can get the other chemical sent to me by mail so I can finally do the project to make prints and stickers for everyone who wants some.
I hope everyone’s day was better than mine. Happy Holidays!
At the end of this week is Brian Kies’ warehouse art showing and party. Hope to see as many people there as can make it.
A lot has been happening in the last few days. Went over yesterday to approve the pencils for the cover to issue 1 and am very excited about it. It looks good and I like the way it fits in with the story. Past that I have been doing watercolor touch ups on a number of pages over the last few days and it’s looking better and better. The title logo is a bit tricky, but I think I’m close to what I want. Time has been sparse the last week or so and my brother will be here tomorrow, so with all the cleaning it hasn’t been the easiest to get things done, although I am happy to say that I have. One more day of working should do it on my end. So I’m hoping that day will be Thursday.
Friday was my one year anniversary with Camille. Not a lot has been going on art wise these last few days. My day off from work (I only got one this week) was totally full up of things to do. On a side note, I wrote out an outline of issues 2 and about half of 3 that are to follow my current issue that is in its finishing stages. I also did an outline for the first three issues of the first full length story that is to follow this series of zombie tales. All in all I guess my time was productive enough, I just wish I was able to do more work towards absolute completion of my first issue, even though it is great to know what is coming.
For those interested who may be going to Wonder-Con, I believe I will be doing everything I can to have some select prints, pins, and stickers available there. This week I hope to complete all the artwork for the first issue and have it ready to turn in, but I also work 40 hours and have relatives coming into town. So we will just have to see.
Tomorrow is the Flash Mob get together. In case you missed my earlier post you should read it and then come check out the event. It will only be an hour, but it will all be in good fun. Right now I am writing out an extensive outline for issue two of my nearly completed first issue of comic. Thought I would through out a update in the middle of an update. Hope everyone is having a good holiday season!
So I have handed over my first issue to Camille Alaras. She will be doing the lettering and all of the onomatopoetic sound on the pages. (that is all the “crack” “snap” “crunch” “BANG” and things like that) It is pretty crazy not having the comic sitting in front of me after putting so much work into it, but I am unfathomably excited to see the results, and to just have a nice short break from it. Once I get it back I’ll be doing the final touch ups and turning it in to Forbidden Panel who’s link is at the bottom of the page.